Kids Dental pediatric dentists, like Dr. Jeffrey Holt, are healthcare professionals who have been specially trained in diagnosing and treating every aspect of childhood dental care, as well as in educating parents and children on the best methods to promote good oral health that will last throughout a child’s lifetime. Similar to a pediatrician, a pediatric dentist treats children from the time of their first dental check-up (recommended by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists upon eruption of the first tooth or by a child’s first birthday) until early adulthood.
At Kids Dental, we offer state-of-the-art pediatric dental and orthodontic facilities designed entirely for treating children and their dental needs.
Why Choose a Pediatric Dentist?
A pediatric dentist has additional education and experience in dealing with childhood oral healthcare in comparison with a general dentist. All dentists are trained to diagnose and treat oral health issues during their four years of dental school, which is completed after receiving an undergraduate degree. Once this Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree is earned, general dentistry can be practiced.
A pediatric dentist completes at least two additional years of training during a full-time specialized residency which includes:
- Pediatric preventive care and invasive oral care
- Pediatric dental sedation and anesthesia
- Treatment of children who are medically compromised and children with special needs
- Extensive study of the development and growth of the jaw, mouth, face, and head
- Identifying conditions requiring orthodontics, as well as orthodontic methods
- Training in pediatric dental emergencies, including hospital care
- General child development and psychology
While in residency, your pediatric dentist is refining his/her skills to provide dental care to children in the most sensitive and nurturing way possible.
Benefits of a Pediatric Dentist
Pediatric dentists are uniquely qualified to diagnose and treat children’s dental issues because of their extensive training. Children often experience vastly different dental problems than adults do, so having a keen understanding and working knowledge of pediatric oral health is essential when treating children.
Other benefits of pediatric dentistry include:
- Child-friendly atmosphere: The pediatric dental environment is specifically designed for kids. At Kids Dental, we offer fun, animated videos and games to educate children and make them feel comfortable at every visit. From our toothpaste flavors to our office décor, we focus on putting your child at ease.
- Pediatric affiliations: Pediatric dentists have relationships with children’s hospitals, pediatricians, and other pediatric specialists which can be a tremendous benefit should your child need specialized treatment or extensive emergency dental care.
- Patient and nurturing temperament: The pediatric dentists and staff at Kids Dental choose to work with children every day. We love it! We strive to alleviate any fears that your child may have while providing superior pediatric oral care and cultivating a trusting relationship with your family.
- Specially made equipment: Pediatric dentists utilize equipment designed to be used on children’s smaller mouths and more fragile teeth.
- Advanced understanding and knowledge of dental developmental stages: Pediatric dentists have extensively studied the rapid growth of the jaw and mouth of a child. They are exceptionally suited to recognize prospective problems in adolescent oral development, as well as orthodontic needs.
- Experience with special needs: Pediatric dentists are specially trained in treating children who are chronically ill, physically disabled, or mentally challenged. Because we treat children all day, every day at Kids Dental, we have broad, comprehensive experience in handling specific needs for various childhood illnesses and circumstances.
When choosing a pediatric dentist, be sure you find a place that you can call your dental home. Considering that your child will be visiting his/her dentist for close to 20 years, it is important that you and your child feel comfortable asking questions and seeking advice when needed.
Services Offered by Pediatric Dentists
Pediatric dentists offer comprehensive oral care for children in all stages of dental development. Beginning with the initial oral health exam by age one, your dentist will advise you on proper methods of preventive care to enable your child to have healthy teeth and gums that last a lifetime.
Other oral health services provided by pediatric dentists include:
- Dental hygiene for toddlers and babies
- Assessing for early childhood caries – Baby Bottle (Nursing) Tooth Decay
- Semi-annual preventive care, including dental cleaning, x-rays, and fluoride treatments
- Identification and repair of cavities
- Advising on the Five Stages of Teething and Helpful Hints
- Habit counseling for thumb sucking and pacifiers “non-nutritive sucking habits”, healthy eating, and brushing and flossing
- Dental sealants for prevention of cavities
- Mouth guards to prevent sports related dental injuries
- Orthodontic evaluation
- Diagnosing and treating dental developmental problems
- Treatment for dental emergencies, such as broken, fractured, or avulsed (knocked out) teeth
- Identifying and treating periodontal disease
At Kids Dental, we offer comprehensive, family-centered pediatric dental care in a child-friendly nurturing environment. If you are looking for a place to call your dental home, please schedule a consultation with one of our pediatric dentists by completing an Online Appointment Request or calling either office.