The first step in preventing and treating oral damage caused by an eating disorder is to be forthcoming with your dental health professional. At Kids Dental, we understand the emotional, physical, and social issues that accompany eating disorders and offer support and help so that our patients can have the best dental health possible as they recover. Here are some Tips & Safety recommendations.
Tips to protect oral health include:
- Do not brush teeth immediately after purging. Instead, rinse mouth with water or fluoride rinse and wait 20 minutes before brushing.
- Do continue regular oral hygiene, such as brushing your teeth twice a day with a non-abrasive fluoridated toothpaste and flossing daily.
- Chew sugarless gum which contains xylitol to keep teeth healthy. Xylitol dental benefits include helping prevent gum disease, increasing saliva production, and decreasing bacteria on teeth, as well as acid production.
- Visit your dentist regularly for dental fluoride treatments and to monitor the condition of your teeth. If tooth erosion is present, the specialists at Kids Dental will work with you to provide the proper treatment for dental restoration. Restorative treatments offered at Kids Dental include:
- White dental crowns
- Porcelain and stainless steel crowns
- Composite fillings
If you would like more information on the effects of eating disorders on oral health or if your child is dealing with or recovering from an eating disorder, please contact our office for a consultation in an encouraging and caring family-friendly environment.
At Kids Dental, we offer comprehensive, family-centered pediatric dental care in a child-friendly nurturing environment. If you are looking for a place to call your dental home, please schedule a consultation with one of our pediatric dentists by completing an Online Appointment Request or calling either office.